Welcome to Utah Virtual Academy!
Strong Start is a required training process for new families.
This page will help you complete the required training’s and provide you with the information and resources you need to have a successful education here at UTVA.
To start, please read about what this process will look like for you and your student.
Strong Start Process
All the training’s and tasks for Strong Start are required, and must completed by your first week of school. You will receive daily reminders to complete missing tasks once school starts.
K12 Enrollment Agreement
Here is a refresher to the Expectations and School Policies that you agreed to during the enrollment process: Click HERE
LYNX to Success
- You need your account to access everything.
- As a Learning Coach, you will use your account to check on the student’s progress and complete attendance.
- For students, when they log into their account, this is the equivalent of walking through the front doors of the school. *Students MUST use their own login/account when going to class. Once your student has logged in, or entered the building, he/she must attend classes and log into courses to be attending school.
- HOW TO SET UP YOUR ACCOUNT: Click HERE
- SET UP ACCOUNT: Click HERE
- BBC- Coming Soon!
3. Learning Coach University: Click HERE
4. Attendance 101: Click HERE
5. Daily Requirements (UTVA Expectations):
- Log in with student username and password
- Attend and participate in Class Connects (CCs) at designated class times
- Complete daily assignments and lessons
- Communication with teachers/mentors via email, phone calls, texts read and respond to emails daily.
- Learning Coach (LC) offers appropriate amount of support to student based on grade level (i.e. K-8 students require more support from LC’s
- High School Students must log into courses daily.
6. Beginning of Year Assessments:
- K8 i-Ready – Available first day of school
- HS-NWEA – Available first day of school
7. UTVA Media Release/FARM Form:
- Fill out the required Media Release form HERE
- Fill out the required Income Form in July (Link available July 1st)
8. Computer Requirements:
- Office 365 – Download HERE
- BBC Launcher – Download HERE
- Adobe Flash Player – Download HERE
- Enable Flash in Browser:
Set Up Instructions for a K12 Loaner Computer: HERE
FAQ's - Frequently Asked Questions
Hardware/Materials Shipping Schedule:
- New students accepted before the first day of school will receive their hardware/materials towards the end of July/beginning of August. Students that are accepted after the first day of school will have their hardware/materials shipped immediately and will receive them about 7-10 business days.
- Link to check the shipping schedule: HERE
- Link for computer/materials tracking after they have been shipped: HERE
- Link for K12 computer recommendation: HERE
- One laptop per three students per grade band (K-5th, 6th-8th, 9th-12th) in families that qualify for the USDA Free and Reduced Meals Program. Student who receive Special Education services are also eligible for a computer upon request.
- How to check eligibility:
- Click HERE and go through the information. If you are still unsure of your computer eligibility, please reach out to your student’s Mentor or sign up for a meeting with our Strong Start Coordinator at the top of this page.
- If your student has an existing IEP/504 from their previous school, please reach out to your student’s Mentor to make sure we have received it.
- If your student does not have and IEP/504, but you are interested in getting them one, please reach out to your student’s Mentor to start the process.
Platform Navigation – Getting Started:
- Overall – Click HERE
- OLS (Online School) ( K-5)- Click HERE
- OMS/OHS (Online Middle School and Online High School) ( 6-12th) – Click HERE
- LC (Learning Coach) – Click HERE
Family Resource Center: Click HERE
Contact List/Info-graph: Coming Soon!
Tech Support Videos: Click HERE
Computer/Technical Issue Process:
|Utah Virtual Academy||UTVA||A College & Career Academy and a Utah Public School|
|Learning Coach||LC||They are the adult who is with the student during the day and our point of contact when we need to contact about the student. This is usually a parent/guardian, though it can sometimes be a family friend or extended family member.|
|Legal Guardian||LG||Most of the time is the same person as the LC, but not always.|
|Point of Contact||POC||Person to contact for specific information. The Mentor is you first POC for school needs that are not for specific class questions. For those, your teacher is your POC. The LC is the POC for the student.|
|Mentor||The Point of Contact for families at the school. Reach out to your Mentor for any questions that are not class specific. Formerly referred to as Homeroom Teacher.|
|Head of School||HOS||Meghan Meredith|
|Student Services Team||SST||Comprised of the Student Services Administrator, Strong Start Coordinator, Family Engagement Coordinator, Truancy/Attendance Interventionist, School Social Worker, and the Communications Coordinator. This team works to helps students overcome non-academic barriers that may keep them from being successful in school.|
|Close of Business Day||COB||5:00 PM|
|Beginning of Year/ End of Year||BOY/EOY||BOY- August
|School Year||SY||Ex. SY 1920, SY 2019-2020, etc.|
|Face-to-Face||F2F||Usually means meeting in person for meetings, trainings, or outings/events. Can sometimes refer to meeting virtually using webcams.|
|Professional Development||PD||A variety of specialized training, formal education, or advanced professional learning intended to help administrators, teachers, and other educators improve their professional knowledge, competence, skill, and effectiveness. Our Faulty has monthly PD opportunities that are held virtually, regionally, or F2F at our office in Murray.|
|Online School||OLS||The platform that is used for K-5th grade students: https://login-learn.k12.com/#login
|Online Middle and High School||OMHS||Also referred to as OMS/OHS. This is the platform that is used for 6th-12th grade students: https://login-learn.k12.com/#login|
|Learning Coach Account||LC Account||This platform is used for LC to manage the student account, log attendance, etc. It is similar to the OMHS with a few differences: https://login-learn.k12.com/#login|
|High School||HS||9th-12th Grade|
|Middle School||MS||6th-8th Grade|
|Elementary School||ES||Often referred to as K5; K-5th Grade|
|State Education Online Program||SOEP||Also referred to as our Part Time Program: https://utvaptstudents.weebly.com/
|Career & Technical Education||CTE|| http://utahvirtualacademy.org/cte/
|Concurrent Enrollment||CE||Get college credits while in High School: http://utahvirtualacademy.org/concurrent-enrollment/
|Learning Coach University||LCU||Required training for LCs to complete each school year: https://www.smore.com/1bj02-learning-coach-university
|Strong Start||SS||Process of required trainings for new students and Learning Coaches when they are enrolled.|
|National Junior Honor Society/National Honor Society||NJHS/NHS|
|Content||A place in each course where the lessons and assignments are listed. It has a table of contents on the left side.|
|Lesson||Found in the course content and contains the important information that you need to learn|
|Course Homepage||The main page of any course|
|Class Connect||CC||A online live classroom where students are engaged in real-life authentic learning with their teacher. UTVA uses BBC for CCs.|
|Blackboard Collaborate||BBC||One of the virtual classroom platforms we use. It is a virtual learning environment and learning management system developed by Blackboard Inc. Blackboard is a tool that allows faculty and students to have a live class online. Teachers can use PowerPoint, Captivate, video, audio, animation, and other applications for students to enhance teaching and learning efforts.|
|Dropbox||A tool used to submit assignments.|
|Zoom||A online live classroom where students are engaged in real-life authentic learning with their teacher.|
|Class Plan||A calendar with what to do when, and when assignments are due. The Plan links to the Content. Students can click on an assignment listed in the plan and go straight to the Content. When working on overdue assignments, use the class plan, not the overdue list.|
|Recordings List||A list of all of the class recordings for a particular class.|
|Exit Ticket||A quiz or survey about the live class. Used to ensure students are actively engaging in live classes.|
|English Language Learner||ELL|
|PowerSchool||PS||A student information system that allows us to manage a wide range of information, including the following: grades, attendance, tests, demographics, activities, courses. At UTVA we manage attendance and student demographics records on PowerSchool and report it to the state.|
If you have any questions after reading through this page, please scroll to the top of this page and
and sign up to meet with our Strong Start Coordinator.